- Counsel in numerous international commercial arbitrations under ICC, LCIA, DIS, UNCITRAL, Vienna, Cairo and other rules, in four continents and under diverse legal systems, including e.g.:
- Lead Counsel for a Central European company in an arbitration and mediation concerning post-acquisition issues following the purchase of a state-owned oil company (English, Czech and Polish law, LCIA London)
- Lead counsel for a German private equity company in a post-M&A claim arising out of the sale of an electronics company to a Chinese technology group (ICC arbitration, New York law, New York and Washington)
- Lead counsel for a German client in two related arbitrations in Egypt arising out of the termination of a joint venture agreement to develop tourist activities throughout the Middle East (Egyptian law, Cairo Regional Centre for International Commercial Arbitration)
- Co-counsel for a U.S. project management/engineering company in parallel ICC arbitrations against a state-owned enterprise arising out of alleged technical defects, tendering practices, delays in export credit financing and increased costs in the design and construction of a Baltic oil terminal (English law)
- Lead counsel in two arbitration proceedings brought against a Croatian client arising out of the termination of a licence agreement relating to the packaging and distribution of foodstuffs in the Polish market (Vienna Rules, Swiss and Polish law)
- Lead counsel for a Philippine corporation in an ad hoc arbitration in London against two banks concerning the sale of collateral shares under an Overseas Securities Lender’s Agreement.
- Counsel in investment treaty claims arising out of government contracts, privatisations, sovereign debt restructurings, economic sanctions, armed conflict, including:
- Lead counsel for a Central European State defending an ad hoc arbitration brought under a bilateral investment treaty by a multinational arising out of the tender for sale of a state-owned company in the steel sector
- Lead counsel for a German investor in an ad hoc arbitration against a Far Eastern State under the applicable Bilateral Investment Treaty concerning a toll road concession.
- Sole, co- and presiding arbitrator (ICC, DIS, LCIA), including:
- Presiding arbitrator in an ICC arbitration between a Middle Eastern claimant and a European Respondent concerning a services contract in relation to a steel plant in Asia (Swiss law, Zürich)
- LCIA-appointed arbitrator in an arbitration under German law between a South East Asian manufacturer and a German company concerning a manufacturing plant
- Challenge, recognition and enforcement of arbitral awards (including investment treaty) in many jurisdictions, including:
- Managing Counsel in a number of setting aside, recognition and enforcement proceedings of an international investment treaty award (Germany, New York and Switzerland)
- Drafting and negotiating intergovernmental and host government agreements for a major gas transit route and related advice
- Senior Consultant to the World Bank on international trade and investment policy (MENA region)
- Former partner and head of investment arbitration practice of Lovells
- Member of the ICC Commission on Arbitration, the Legal Advisory Task Force of the Energy Charter Treaty, an expert group of the International Law Association in Germany on investment law, the International Investment Agreement expert group of UNCTAD, the Panels of Arbitrators of the Beijing Arbitration Commission and of CIETAC, and the Frankfurt Arbitration Circle.
You can find further details in my cv here.
Global Arbitration Review’s ‘International Who’s Who of Commercial Arbitration 2016
Who’s Who Legal Germany: “a ‘real specialist’ recognised for his work as counsel and arbitrator” (2012)
Juve Handbook: ‘Leading Name in Arbitration’, “outstanding expertise in this specialist segment [of investment-related arbitration] and reliable contacts to state institutions.” (2009/2010)
- ICSID to Update Rules & Regulations
- Hague District Court Sets Aside ‘Yukos’ Arbitration Awards under Energy Charter Treaty
- Vietnam endorses European Commission’s Proposal for a Two-Tier Investment Court System in new FTA
- EU Commission proposes new Investment Tribunal to replace Investor-State Arbitration in TTIP Negotiations
- Walter Bau Insolvenzverwalter mit Allen & Overy und Robert Hunter erfolgreich gegen Thailand